Published: 12 March 2020
Making beauty more eco-friendly
In the past few years, we’ve become increasingly aware of rising temperatures and the importance of looking after our planet. There are changes we can all make to help – and the products we use for our beauty regime can make more of an impact then any of us imagine! By selecting products which are more environmentally-conscious, we can make an impact together.
What you can do:
Thanks to growing awareness, making your beauty regime greener is becoming easier and easier. While it is now possible to go almost entirely zero-waste in the bathroom, making simple, small swaps will help:
- Try switching disposable wipes and cotton pads for reusable cloth, cotton or bamboo pads.
- Try solid shampoo and conditioner, which helps reduce the need for plastic bottles.
- Trade your disposable razors for a stainless-steel razor. With the right care they last a long, long time. While you still have to change the metal blades, these can be recycled and help reduce plastic.
- Shop local where you can. By shopping local, we are all helping to reduce our carbon footprints. Buying beauty products that are made in the UK helps the need to distribute from aboard.
- Wash old containers to recycle your products properly, as this will ensure that they end up getting processed.
- Remember to turn off the tap while you applying product/scrubbing your face.
- Try repurposing mascara wands.
- Be mindful of how much product you are using. Not only will this reduce waste, but it will help save you money!
What Mosaic is doing:
To do our part, Mosaic tries to work with UK product suppliers who are environmentally-conscious. Please see below the ways in which each of our product houses help:
Temple Spa are in the process of having an eco-friendly makeover. They are currently changing all of their packaging to be recyclable material, which will phase throughout 2020. Already they have removed spatulas from their products, the lids from their candles and plastic wrap from their soap.
All Temple Spa treatments are single-use plastic free.
Natural Spa Factory
Natural Spa Factory use botanically sourced ingredients derived by nature like herbs, plants and flowers and try to avoid as many nasties as possible. Their products are either made here in the UK or in France and recyclable wherever possible. Natural Spa Factory also offer 5 litre refills which help reduce plastic waste, as they store the equivalent of 20 small single use plastics.
Voya believe in organic and sustainable ways of doing business. They harvest wild organic seaweeds by hand to ensure the delicate coast environment of the West of Ireland is not damaged. All products are packaged using recycled, recyclable or biodegradable materials. Their packaging board is a special blend of FSC certified pulps using their own harvested seaweed!
Jessica Nails takes back any single-use plastic, such as the nail vanish remover and nail vanish tops. The nail vanish bottles themselves are made of glass and can be recycled.
Spongelle comes in recyclable boxes. While the sponge itself is not recyclable, the company have some great suggestions for upcycling your used Spongelle.
Published: 12 March 2020